This is a very large cake but worth the effort as it is versatile. It can be halved and sandwiched with jam and cream, or topped with chocolate or served on its own with fresh fruit. If this is simply too big, half the ingredients and use a smaller cake tin.
- 10oz / 300g butter
- 10oz / 300g caster sugar
- 2 goose eggs
- 10oz / 300g self raising flour
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1oz / 25g cornflour
- Mix the butter and sugar together with the vanilla extract in a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile using a sharp knife break the goose eggs into another bowl making sure that all of the shell is removed, beat with a fork.
- Sift the flours into a separate bowl. Add a quarter of the beaten eggs and a tablespoon of flour and continue mixing.
- Repeat until the eggs are all mixed in then add the rest of the flour, mix for a further 2 mins.
- Place in a large pre-lined cake tin (approx 9″). Bake in a pre heated oven gas mark 4, 180°C for 1hr.
- 15-20mins. If the mixture is put into two smaller tins then reduce the time to 45mins.