This makes the most delicious roast potatoes, crisp and crunchy on the outside, yet soft and fluffy inside.
- Dry floury potatoes such as King Edward, Maris Piper or Wilja.
- Goose fat which has collected in the roasting tin.
- Peel and cut potatoes into chunks about 5cm / 2in square.
- Place in a pan of salted water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, keeping the water for the gravy.
- Place the potatoes back in the pan and shake them around to roughen the edges. (You can also use a fork to scratch the edges).
- Put the goose fat into a roasting tin and heat in the oven until hot, approximately 10 mins.
- Add potatoes to the tin and coat with the fat.
- Cook in a moderate oven for approximately 1 hour or until golden and crisp.