Kindly supplied by Claire Symington of Seldom Seen Farm.
Here we have a marvellous way of making 8 oz. goose meat form the basis of a substantial and delicious supper for 4 people.
Other ingredients can be added to a Risotto such as mushrooms, cooked peas, prawns etc. but I think that its perfect as it is, especially if you use a well reduced goose stock.
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic – chopped
- 2 tablespoons melted goose fat or olive oil
- 14 oz. risotto rice (Tilda Aborio)
- 2.75 pints hot goose stock made from the goose carcase
- 8 oz. sliced goose meat
- Salt and pepper
- 2 – 4 oz. grated Parmesan to finish
- 1 oz. butter
- In a large pan fry the onion and garlic in the melted goose fat until golden.
- Add the rice and stir it around in the fat until shiny and translucent.
- Meanwhile bring the stock to the boil in another saucepan and start adding to the rice ladle by ladle.
- Stir each addition of stock into the rice and allow it to be absorbed before adding more.
- Continue adding the stock until the rice is cooked – about 25 minutes, stirring all the time.
- When the rice is cooked but still retains a slight bite, add the sliced goose meat.
- Cover with a lid and rest for 3-5 minutes off the heat.
- Just before serving stir in the butter and sprinkle with the parmesan.
- Serve with some French Bread and a nice crunchy mixed salad.